Friday, October 26, 2007

Leopard Launch

To upgrade or not to upgrade...

The release of Leopard is minutes away. Not that I'm keeping a countdown, but I went by the Apple site and saw the homepage countdown. Most OS upgrades are mostly fluff in my book, and yet certain features make my life so much easier. A little thing like not having to copy all the files over to a blank DVD or CD - only having to create an alias that references the source files - that one has saved days off my life in the past year.

Is the upgrade worth it to you? Most likely I won't upgrade all of our computers until we buy a new one and then we'll need some feature and so we'll have to make the switch. I figure, let other people be the guinea pigs. I'm sure you're the same way, but I can't afford downtime with some bug. Perhaps that robs me of the joy of being an early adopter. I'll be more adventurous with my hobbies rather than my livelihood.

What are your thoughts?

Jacob

1 comment:

Mike Kingsley said...

It depends a lot on what you do. Generally for 95% of the business population it is not good to upgrade right away. Only if it is fixing some pressing need. This is one of the rare times when I see more home users upgrading before business users.

10.4 was a little worse, I think there were a lot of problems that lasted easily until the 10.4.3 or 10.4.4 updates. Then it was just minor fixes but 10.4.7 and higher really helped push it over the edge for helping with making it reliable. Server had big problems until 10.4.7 with file sharing over a certain amount of users.

It's a good rule of thumb to wait until the .3 release of the OS and a point release from Final Cut before you start thinking about upgrading. Video work on Macs needs to be more reliable than any other program.

That being said, I have been very impressed with 10.5 so far. There are not many problems and not a long list of programs that do not work.